Before you get too caught up carving pumpkins or watching football, reserve a few weekend hours to take care of these autumn home maintenance tasks:
- HVAC system inspection. Have a qualified HVAC mechanic inspect your system to ensure it’s ready to heat your home all winter.
- Turn off outside hose bibs. If you don’t have frost-free exterior faucets, shut off their water supply and drain the lines to prevent freezing. While you’re at it, roll up hoses and get the outside of your home tidy for winter.
- Inspect the fireplace. Always have a professional inspect wood stove and wood burning fireplace chimneys prior to starting the first fire of the season. The Chimney Safety Institute of America reports an average of 22,300 chimney fires each year; a good fireplace and chimney cleaning can help keep your home from becoming a statistic.
- Clean gutters and check roof. Remove all debris that can trap snow and water during the winter. If you live in a one-story home, this can be a DIY-project for you and a partner, if you are not comfortable please feel free to Contact us.
- Check exterior grade. Fill in any depressions near the foundation that can trap water or snow. These water issues could eventually lead to damp basements, settling or foundation damage.
If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to our team!